Those who are searching for how to create a portfolio website here is your easiest solution to create a portfolio website for free. Nowadays, cr...
Those who are searching for how to create a portfolio websitehere is your easiest solution to create a portfolio website for free. Nowadays, creating a portfolio website is a much-needed topic as without having a standard portfolio website, you can't expect to present your works and achievements in front of your targeted audiences.
To own a portfolio website, either you need to buy a completed website from others, or you need to know the procedures on how to build a portfolio website. In this article, I have tried so high to make a complete guide on how to create a portfolio website so that you can build your own portfolio website rather than buying other websites for showcasing your profile.
So, let's explore the procedures in detail rather than searching for how to create a portfolio website here and there.
Why You Need a Portfolio Website?
An online portfolio brings many opportunities for your career and business. Your online portfolio will not only help get you more business, it also connects you with like-minded people who're looking to expand their businesses in the same direction.
There're many reasons to create an online portfolio. We're listing a few below so you'll understand the primary benefits of having your own portfolio page:
- Professional Way to Showcase Your Work: Building a website about your brand and experience is a polished way to share your expertise with others. Websites can be more creative and innovative than traditional portfolios and are able to share with anyone in the world.
- Smart Way to Share Your Resume: When someone asks you about your portfolio, you won't need to send it to them by mail or fax. You can simply share the link to your portfolio page.
- It's A Great First Impression For Employers: If an employer sees your website link in your signature or on your resume, they'll likely click on it to see what you've built. Seeing you've taken the time to build a website featuring work samples, recommendations, previous presentations and more will be a killer first impression.
- Increases Your Visibility And Online Presence: When an employer Googles your name, your professional portfolio will be one of the first search results that pops up.
- Better SEO: An online portfolio page improves your website's search engine rankings.
- Domain Name: Choose an easy domain name so that your user can remember your site name.
- Web Hosting: Select a trusted source to buy web hosting.
- CMS: Select a CMS platform.
- Template: Pick a contemporary and responsive template.
- Page Builder: Use apage builder as an editor.
Step 01: Select a Domain Name
Before starting anything else, at first, you need an easy, simple, and relevant domain name. It's a key element of your website that gives the first impression to website visitors, affects your SEO, and defines your brand.
If you don't have any idea about where from you should register your domain name, you can visit Sitegroundto register your domain name. When you are selecting your domain name, consider the following tips (not mandatory).
- It should be simple, so it's easy to remember.
- Your domain name should end with .com, .net or .org.
Step 02: Choose a Web Hosting
Now, its time to choose a web hosting to reach another step to your dream. There are so many options to choose a web hosting around you. It may make you confused but I believe How to Select Best Web Hosting can definitely help you.
You can select any of the web hosting providers; however, if you don't feel comfortable with their offerings, you can visit Siteground,you will get your preferred hosting with minimal costing.
When you are dealing a web hosting, consider the following tips (not mandatory).
- Page Load Speed: How fast is the hosting provider? It should load your site within a possible shortest time (500-700 ms).
- Customer Support: You'll have to sort out issues with support at some point – therefore you should choose a host that has good-quality and responsive customer support.
Step 03: Install Joomla
You may think why I am using Joomla. Well, I have solid logic behind this decision. Before selecting Joomla, I have gone through a study about which platform is the best for a beginner type of developer. First of all, I read Joomla vs Wix, a details guide on the comparison.
Though they clearly have shown how far Joomla has already gone, still I had some doubts about Joomla. Then, I read Joomla vs WordPress, and my misgivings totally disappeared. Now, I am convinced, for me, as I want to develop a portfolio website, Joomla is the best choice so far.
There are multiple process for Joomla installation; however, to make the installation butter smooth, we have a dedicated blog post about "How to Install Joomla - A Step by Step Guide". Follow this link to install Joomla.
Besides,we provide documentation and video tutorial for you, in case you need any further help.
Step 04: ChooseTemplate
Before uploading a template, you need to know which template gonna best for you. There is a lot of modern designed Joomla templates, but you must decide which one will be the best fit for you.
Your selected Joomla template must be responsible as well as contemporary designed.Check the following factors while you choosea template.
- Support: It's great to have technical support included, as these people can fix any issue for you.
- Pricing Plan: It should be affordable like you must not buy or download a template with minimal features and maximum price.
- Updates: Joomla constantly updates their system. Make sure your template provider also updates their templates frequently to make sure it will work with the latest releases.
- Documentation: From time to time, you'll need to check some features to learn how they work. Be sure there is a place where you can do so.
- Responsiveness and Cross-Browser Compatibility: This means your template should look great in every browser as well as on any mobile device.
- Customizability: Check out which template features can be customized by yourself. For example, look for templates that have many module positions.
Here, I have chosen Startup - the best portfolio template for Joomla website. Reasons behind choosing the template is its features and functionalities.
Features of Startup
- 1 Homepage with 5 Inner Pages
- Typography Control
- Mobile Responsive
- Easy Customizable
- Drag and Drop Development
- Smooth Animation
- Constant Update
- Dedicated Support
- Gantry 5 Framework
- Speed Optimized
- Quick-start Package included
- Full-Featured Blog
- Smooth Accordion
- Quix Joomla Page Builder
- Quix Particles
- Built-in Pages
- Cross-Browser Compatibility
- Dynamic Navigation Menu
- SEO Optimized
Step 05: Upload a Template
Go to Extensions > select Extension Manager > Browse the extension package file (template file) > Upload & Install.
Joomla gives three more options to install extensions. Find from the following link "How to Install Joomla Template".
After that, you still need to activate template and you do that under Extensions > Template > Styles. Here, click the star icon to the right of the template name to make it the default site.
Step 06: Customize the Template
Here we areusingQuickstart package to customize the Startup - best business portfolio template for startup company.Quickstart package is elementary and user-friendly, that's why this will be our humble recommendation for you. However, you can customize the template in your own preferred way, as well.
Note: Quickstart package is available with each and every template of our Joomla Template Directory.
To start the Quickstart package first, you have to download the .zip file from our template directory then install it manually. It is the same kind of process as installing Joomla. First, extract the template quickstart .zip file and find out the template folder from the localhost. Your domain look like this, https://localhost/template-name.
After clicking the folder file an installation interface will appear. Fill the necessary information and proceed to the next option by clicking the next button.
You will get an interface like this, now configure this one and put the connection information for, database type, server host name, user name, password, database name, and table name. It is suggested to keep the password field blank if you face any error.
Click on the next button to proceed. Database restoration will start now and after completing an interface will appear like below,
Now it's time to site setup. Click the next button to finish,
Remove the installation button.
Ready to start using your site! Click the visit your site front end button,
Now login with Joomla administrative and go to Quix dashboard.
Go to Quix > Pages, then select the page which one you want to customize.
Here, I have used Quix - Joomla page builderto customize this template.Customization with Quixis much more simple and straightforward work than you ever thought. You can create and customize your entire websiteusingQuix visual page builder. It doesn't matter whether you haveany prior coding knowledge or not.
Once your Joomla website is ready, try to share this resource with others so that it could assist them in building their website without facing any difficulties. In the meantime, let us know your thoughts on our guide in the comment box below. Your comments can improve our guide.
If you're not a coder, the best choice will be to use a website builder like WordPress, Squarespace or Wix. These companies offer templates and make it easy to showcase your work online in a straightforward way. If you build a one-page website, it will be easy to do using these templates.How do I create a personal portfolio website? ›
- Define your message.
- Look for inspiration.
- Choose a template.
- Add your own content.
- Customize your design.
- Make sure you're mobile-friendly.
- Optimize for SEO.
- Get a second opinion.
- Identify your best work samples. ...
- Create a contents section. ...
- Include your resume. ...
- Add a personal statement outlining your professional goals. ...
- List out your hard skills and expertise. ...
- Attach samples of your best work. ...
- Include recommendations and testimonials from credible sources.
- Sign up for a GitHub account. As we're going to host the website on GitHub Pages, a prerequisite is to have a GitHub account. ...
- Creating a New Repository. ...
- Setting up GitHub Pages for your Repository. ...
- Adding Our Information to the Website. ...
- Adding Images to the Website. ...
- The Completed Portfolio Website.
- Choose the perfect domain.
- Get web hosting and free domain registration with Hostinger.
- Claim your free domain with Hostinger.
- Install WordPress with Hostinger.
- Access WordPress in the Hostinger dashboard.
- Design your website with a customizable theme.
- Build your website's architecture.
- Squarespace – Best overall portfolio website builder.
- Wix – Best for creative freedom and customizability.
- GoDaddy – Best for building a portfolio fast.
- Duda – Best for a technically polished portfolio website.
- Zyro – The easiest way to build a basic portfolio.
- Decide how much help you want.
- Choose an account that works toward your goals.
- Choose your investments based on your risk tolerance.
- Determine the best asset allocation for you.
- Rebalance your investment portfolio as needed.
- Step 1: Know why you want to create a personal website. ...
- Step 2: Determine your audience. ...
- Step 3: Choose the type of personal website you'd like to create. ...
- Step 4: Prepare your content. ...
- Step 5: Optimize the content for search engines. ...
- Step 6: Find your inspiration.
- Step 1 – Identification of objectives. ...
- Step 2 – Estimating the capital market. ...
- Step 3 – Decisions about asset allocation. ...
- Step 4 – Formulating suitable portfolio strategies. ...
- Step 5 – Selecting of profitable investment and securities. ...
- Step 6 – Implementing portfolio. ...
- Step 7 – ...
- Step 8 –
Step 1: The first step is to develop a process portfolio, which documents growth over time toward a goal. Documentation includes statements of the end goals, criteria, and plans for the future.
- Take a Class or Online Tutorial. ...
- Create Web Pages for Imaginary Clients. ...
- Volunteer. ...
- Modify Web Design Templates.
- Dribbble Pro. Best for simple portfolio creation and maintenance. ...
- Squarespace. Squarespace is a popular website builder and web hosting site. ...
- Wix. ...
- Webflow. ...
- Readymag. ...
- Wordpress. ...
- Dunked. ...
- HubSpot Drag-and-Drop Website Builder.
- Elementor Website Builder.
- Create a domain name. The very first thing you needed to do is to create your website's domain name. ...
- Find a web host. After registering your domain name, the second step on how to create a website is to choose a web host. ...
- Design your website. ...
- Test the website. ...
- Publish your website.
What Is a Portfolio Website? A portfolio website is a unique way to showcase your work and let others know about yourself. It's like an evergreen platform for your projects, case studies, and information about you. In addition, it's one of the best ways to express your personality, experience, and capabilities.How many pages should a portfolio website have? ›
A technical portfolio should be no more than 20-30 pages long, but it should be detailed enough to demonstrate your skills. It should have a cover note, your job history, and your areas of expertise. Job samples will be used, along with a couple of the best projects.What are 5 things a great portfolio includes? ›
- Table of Contents.
- Career and professional development goals, tailored for each interviewer.
- Work philosophy statement; personal mission statement.
- List of areas of expertise.
- Works in progress (activities and projects)
- Conservative portfolio. This type is also called a defensive portfolio or a capital preservation portfolio. ...
- Aggressive portfolio. Also known as a capital appreciation portfolio. ...
- Income portfolio. ...
- Socially responsible portfolio.
- 401(k) or employer retirement plan.
- A robo-advisor.
- Target-date mutual fund.
- Index funds.
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
- Investment apps.
- Introduce yourself. Tell readers who you are in the first line of your portfolio introduction. ...
- Aim for a friendly, casual tone. ...
- Decide which professional experience to include. ...
- Consider listing awards and accolades. ...
- Add a few personal details. ...
- Include a photo of yourself. ...
- Proofread and edit.
How to design a portfolio cover page
- Open a blank document.
- Create a design.
- Type the title and your information.
A portfolio is a collection of financial investments like stocks, bonds, commodities, cash, and cash equivalents, including closed-end funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs). People generally believe that stocks, bonds, and cash comprise the core of a portfolio.What does a portfolio website consist of? ›
A portfolio website usually has several grid elements that consist of a number of images. They are usually organized in a way that the user gets a great experience while using the website.Where can I create a free portfolio website? ›
- Journo Portfolio.
- Muck Rack.
- Adobe Portfolio.
- Project Portfolios. Focused on the work from an individual project. ...
- Growth Portfolio. Show progress toward competence on one or more learning targets. ...
- Achievement Portfolios. Document level of student achievement at a point in time. ...
- Competence Portfolios. ...
- Celebration Portfolios.
Your portfolio should contain written and visual overviews of projects and significant pieces of work that you've managed or been involved with. It should also include an insight into skills you have, methods you've used, the impact of your work, along with any relevant outcomes and / or lessons you've learned.How can I design my website myself? ›
- Set your goal.
- Choose a website builder.
- Define your layout.
- Claim your domain name.
- Gather your content.
- Add the right pages.
- Design your website elements.
- Pick the professional tools you need.
- Fake It Till You Make It. One way to start building your freelance writing portfolio is to create dummy projects. ...
- Guest Post on Popular Blogs. ...
- Borrow Experience from Others. ...
- Be Your First Client.